School’s out at last. Holidays here we come! The whole family is already dreaming about relaxing and having fun on the beach.
In choosing a holiday destination, however, parents of young children should make sure that the flight doesn’t last too long.
Here are a couple of tips to help you avoid unnecessary stress when flying off on holiday:
- Take your child’s favourite toys with you on the flight, together with something to eat and drink that the child likes and also think about warm clothing – it is generally a bit cooler in the aircraft.
- To facilitate pressure equalisation in children’s ears during take-off and landing, simply give your baby a dummy or bottle; chewing gum is suitable for older children. If the child has a cold or the sniffles, it is best to administer nasal drops before departure which will help to equalise the pressure in the middle ear.
In order to make travelling as enjoyable and stress-free as possible for families, Lufthansa has introduced a number of different services:
- Late-night check-in is available for most flights. This is ideal for families in particular, as it saves time on the day of travel.
- Family check-in areas at Frankfurt, Munich and Cairo airports: this special check-in is easily identifiable by the archway with images of Lu and Cosmo, the two Lufthansa mascots. After checking in your baggage there you will receive a copy of our ‘Family Pilot’ brochure which contains lots of helpful tips about children at the airport.
- At many airports you can take your buggy/pushchair right up to the aircraft and get it back again directly after landing.
- On long-haul flights we have travel cots and nappies available for an emergency, for example.
- There are special children’s menus on board – with colourful, delicious and healthy meals. You can order these directly free of charge when you book any Lufthansa long-haul flight and a number of European flights.
- To keep your little ones entertained we provide colouring books, jigsaws and children’s films, among other things.
You will find further information on this subject here.
We hope you have a relaxing flight and that you and your family enjoy your holiday together.